Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Business as Usual: Columbia, Broadway in Chicago, and various other updates.

Hello cloud!

I'm sure you've missed my spot-on reviews, hilarious jokes, and wonderful insights. I have been busier than ever and thought I'd try to jot down a few updates and thoughts before I actually have to get down to work.

Columbia College Chicago:
My last semester as a student at Wright College ended on the 8th of December and, as that date approached, I was in full swing trying to prepare to change schools yet again. As a 23 year old college junior, I am no stranger to the art of transferring (this was my third time doing so... fourth if you count the three weeks I went to community college in Kansas City). However, Columbia makes it crystal clear that you are not transferring to any ordinary school. You are transferring to a school full of art and performance majors which costs upwards of $20,000 a year to attend. Good luck finding that kind of money.

I managed to survive orientation last Monday and, much to my surprise, it was fairly painless. My schedule is as follows:

Monday:
Race and Ethnic Relations 10:30 AM - 11:50 AM
Accounting 3:30 PM - 4:50 PM

Tuesday:
Intro to Management 12:30 PM – 3:20 PM
Middle Eastern History/Culture (from 1800) 5:00 PM - 6:20 PM

Wednesday:
Race and Ethnic Relations 10:30 AM – 11:50 PM
Accounting 3:30 PM - 4:50 PM

Thursday:
Middle Eastern History/Culture (from 1800) 5:00 PM – 6:20 PM

Friday:
Business of Live and Performing Arts 12:30 PM – 3:20 PM


My schedule is a little overwhelming. Especially since I have to make an hour long commute to get to school. But the worst part is the money. I generally stress about money all the time, but with a $1500 or so bill about to be looming over my head, it's getting a little ridiculous. I will be accepting donations indefinitely.

Broadway in Chicago:
Last August (I know, it was a long time ago) I applied for a job in the box office at Broadway in Chicago. I knew I had very little chance of getting it, as I had very little experience in a box office setting (if the box office at Wright even counts as a box office setting). However, I managed to pull it off and I've been working here since November. I love my job - which is something few people can really say - and the people I work with are pretty amazing. Unfortunately, our theater sits empty and my job hours have been cut so dramatically that I have to pull myself back up and start looking for yet another job. I won't be quitting this one, however; because I love it too much and it is too good of an opportunity for a performing arts management major to pass up.

My Social Life:
My what?


Overall, things have been good. I have been generally happy living with the love of my life and the best puppy on the planet. I miss my family in Kansas City (shoutout!) every day and I'm still waiting for the majority of them to gain the courage to come visit a real city. But I have a wonderful Chicago family who looks out for me and keeps me from missing my own family too much.

Thanks for reading, cloud. Hoping for more time to update soon.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment