Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Caveman Lifestyle (and other updates)

That guy looks how I feel.


So, it's been an insane couple of months. My first semester at Columbia has officially come to an end and I've gotten the grades in. If I wasn't typing this in a fit of boredom at work, I'd show you a screenshot of my actual grades. As it is, you'll have to trust me.

Race and Ethnic Relations: A
Intro to Management: A
Accounting: ?? (There's always that one slow teacher)
Middle Eastern History: A
Business of Live and Performing Arts: B

I was hoping for straight As but will have to be happy with the one B. It was probably earned, as I got lazy towards the end of the semester in that class. It was my Friday class after all.

So, now that classes have ended, the gap where school used to be has been filled by work. All work, all the time. James and I have been trying to prepare to move to an apartment on the first floor of the building we live in while I have been working 30+ hours a week and trying to find time to drive all the way to the west suburbs to see my best friend. I'm exhausted most of the time and blogging just hasn't worked itself into my schedule. Until today, that is.

Why the crazy looking caveman, you ask? Two reasons. Because I feel like a crazy person nine times out of ten and because I am on the fence about what might be called another "dieting craze". My loverly boyfriend James turned me on to the Paleo diet, which is about as simple as that guy up there. But in it's simplicity lies the incredibly hard part. Basically, you're allowed to eat anything a caveman might eat. I'm not going to attempt to explain it in my own words, I'll let my research do the talking.

Robb Wolf is apparently the Paleo Diet God. I usually dislike anyone named Robb with two b's but I put aside my dislike to read his fairly well written description of the paleo diet. He gives you this nifty chart that summarizes it well:
That one on the bottom right is what's making me dislike this diet the most. But I understand it. We all know beer makes you fat. That is not news for anyone.

But, with my ever increasing dislike of my body's shape in general, I realized I needed to do something about it. And if James wants to try it, then I'll try it. But now, with him backing out - what do you mean no pizza?? I'm not sure I want to do it.

I am awaiting the advice of the wonderful Jenna over at The Paleo Project. After reading her blog I've realized that we have so much in common and I have hope that she will be able to give me some words of wisdom that might rekindle my excitement. Here's hoping.

Finally, I should also mention that PurpleStride was another wonderful success this year. Despite the unpredictable weather. It was cold but we layered and enjoyed the 5k walk through Lincoln Park.
I appreciate all the donations and words of love that keep my Grandpa Don's memory alive. We had fun at the walk and then we went to Pequod's Pizza and ate some amazing pizza. My Grandpa would have been proud.
That is all. I will leave you with a picture of my adorable Oliver lounging in the sun.

Got something to say? Leave it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment