Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Entertainment Review #3: Source Code


Living in Chicago, I like to watch movies set in my city. I didn't end up seeing this one in the theaters but we did watch it at home the other night. Some thoughts:

The movie is about an Army captain, Colter Stevens (what a name!), who finds that he's a part of a mission to discover who bombed a commuter train on the way to Chicago. (Turns out it's a Metra train in Glenbrook... hilarious)

Colter goes from being on board a train to being inside a strange - and apparently very cold - capsule. The train ride becomes a predictable event ("Soda can, coffee spill, ticket") and the bomber is exposed to the audience very early on. What I don't understand is why they allow us to figure out who the bomber is so long before Colter does. The key is the patch that is both on the bomb and on the wallet the bomber drops, which looks something like this:

I was surprised at this movie's ability to combine an action movie with a drama. It had elements of both which made it an easy date movie. I was attached to the characters (cheering Colter on most of the time) and emotionally crushed at the end (I won't give it away). 

The sci-fi aspect was interesting, although I had a hard time letting go of reality and allowing myself to believe that it could happen. Questions like, how does Goodwin know what Colter is saying? How did they translate his neural activity into words on the computer? Wouldn't those words be jumbled in his thought process? And how was Colter seeing Goodwin as though she was on a tv screen?

Overall, it's worth a watch. I wouldn't have enjoyed it any more in the theater and I'm cheap so I won't pay to see movies unless I'm really excited about them. 

Here's my rating:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment